Sunday, November 21, 2010

Recent News From Italy

Well, I guess I haven't been doing a great job with keepin' y'all updated with everything that's going on here.  The week after the last post I was down with a migraine, and this past week I have been playing catch-up with school work and work here, but here is what has been happening...


Eric and Jessica went to visit the church in Taranto, which is in South Italy and Ryan and Laura went to visit the church in Rome.  They all had a great time meeting the people in those churches.  While they were gone, David took Andrea, Angela, and I to an old church not too far from Scandicci.  It was very beautiful.  Here are some of the pictures of that outing to the church:




After we went to see that church, we went to the Harding villa because we were throwing a surprise party for one of the members, Luigi, of the church here in Florence.  He is in the process of taking tests to be a conductor, I think.  Well he passed his first test and we decided to celebrate.  While there he played his clarinet for us and his wife played the piano.  They are both amazing musicians.  I took some video at the concert, but for some reason it wouldn't load onto the blog.  Sorry about that.  Maybe I can figure how do fix it and add it later.

Last Saturday we all went out to eat with Mario, a member of the church here, and we ate at his favorite seafood restaurant.   The food was amazing and, like every Italian lunch, it was HUGE.  We had squid, octopus, prawns, shrimp, some kind of fish that was very good, vegetables, bread, gelato, and caffe.  It was awesome to spend time with Mario and to talk with him.  After lunch, Ermenita took me to the Saturday market here in Scandicci to do some Christmas shopping.  The market is kinda like a flea market but they have clothes, mainly for women, and all kinds of delicious food.  It was my first time there and it was a very interesting experience.

Last Sunday we had a concert at the church as well.  It was a quartet based here in Florence.  They were very good as well.  We used this as a way to invite our students to church and meet the members of the congregation.  We also sent invitations to the American universities here in Florence, including the HUF students, as well but a few from Peperdine and the Harding students showed up from that crow.  We had a really good turn out from our students and members of our church, close to 100 people.  I got to meet some of Ryan's, Laura's, Jessica's, and Eric's students that I see when they come for their classes but never get to talk to.  It was good to talk with them and get to know them a little (plus I got to practice my Italian with them and for they practiced their English with me).  After the concert, we had a chili supper and then had singing, in both Italian and English, at the church.  It sounded so beautiful.

This weekend was pretty relaxing and I didn't do a whole lot.  Emily took Ryan, Laura, Eric, and Jessica to Vincenza this weekend to visit the church there and they left Saturday morning and got back Sunday night so they house was pretty quiet with 5 people gone.  We did, however, do a massive clean of the building on Friday because we are starting to have a lot of guest come through this month.  I finally got to dry my clothes, but had to take them to a laundry mat down the street because the dryer here is broken and it has rained everyday for the past two weeks so nothing on the clothes lines will dry.  It was nice to have a quiet weekend because this coming week will be very busy.  I start teaching English this week and have three students so far.  I will tell y'all more about them at a later time after I get to know them.  We are also cooking a HUGE Thanksgiving meal for some of our students which will be on Saturday.  I think we have about 60 people in all coming for this meal, so we will be start cooking at least 3 days in advance.  Language school is still rough because I have to concentrate on everything word and try to figure out what they are saying.  I am getting the hang of it and I can understand a lot more than I can speak.  I can listen and figure out what they are saying, eventually, but when I try to speak it is very rough and takes me forever to say what I would like to say.

Please keep us in your prayers.  Pray that God will continue to use us for his glory and that we will allow ourselves to be used by God.  Pray also for the churches here in Italy and that we all will work for God rather than for man.  God bless.  Ciao

2 comments:

  1. Hey bro, hang in there with the language! It will all work out.

    Were you able to go inside the church? I always think old churches are really cool and have a lot of history. It is amazing to me how long they took to build!

    Praying for you, bro. Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job blogging Peter! I'm so bad about updating it, and by the time that I remember I've already forgotten half the stuff we did! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete